Gallery
Gallery

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cabana & Me

A few weeks ago, while out on a walk, we passed by two lush and fluffy samoyeds. Cabana was overly intrigued by these dogs and got fabulously upset when we didn't stop to play with them. One of her "episodes" ensued, as she tried to jump on me and bite my shirt sleeve. While I was busily trying to calm her down, a passing woman laughed, "Hahaha! There's Marley!" Of course, she was referring to the dog from Marley & Me, commenting on the similarity of Cabana's appearance--and behavior--to the dog in the book/movie. NOT really helpful at that moment, but whatever!

This past weekend, we finally got around to watching that movie. I had read the book several years ago, but we weren't dog owners at the time and hadn't even contemplated getting a dog back then.

Personally, I found the movie extreeeeeemely disappointing. Not only did they barely show the dog (wasn't that the whole point, being that it's a DOG movie?), but when they did show the dog, he was almost ALWAYS doing bad and annoying things, thanks to the hapless owners. And the parts where the dog was being tender and sweet were cut to almost zero.

However, I did find entertainment value in the fact that some of the dogs they used for filming bore a HUGE resemblance to Cabana. (I know they used like 50 different dogs to play Marley). The reddish ears, the dark nose, even the pale stripes on the shoulders! All very Cabana-ish.

I used to think that all yellow labs looked the same. But now I see there are a myriad of different "yellow" colors, as well as other differences. Cabana's eyes and nose are very dark, whereas some yellow labs have pale eyes and pink noses. Cabana's coat has a lot of red in it, while other yellow labs look closer to white.

Although not exact, I had fun comparing. What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment