Gallery
Gallery

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesday Topics 6 - Walking a Fine Line


Cabana likes to sit under my desk and put her head on my knees while I work. I knew the good Lord gave me padded knees for a reason--so I can be a good chin rest.

This week's Tuesday Topic is about WALKING. How can such a simple thing be so hard?! Guide dog puppies in training have to walk without pulling on their leash, pay unflagging attention to their human and ignore all the others, disregard dogs, cats, birds, fish, and not be tempted by sticks, stones, gum or fecal matter on the ground. That's a LOT to ask of these little babies.

Is it any wonder poor Cabana has the occasional tantrum when we're walking? I think I'd throw a hissy fit, too, if I were in her shoes. Thankfully, these past few days, Cabana has been doing much better. Thanks for the encouragement from other puppy raisers last week! It was sorely needed and much appreciated. I'm working on being more relaxed yet also more assertive--seems a little like an oxymoron, but I think I can do it.

Something I've wondered from the start is how far and how often we should be walking our pups (I know each puppy is individual--but humor me with generalizations). I have been diligent about walking Cabana every single day, but maybe that's not necessary or recommended. Maybe it makes walking seem like drudgery for both of us? There are definitely days when I'd rather not walk, but I've been making myself do it for her sake.

Right now, we walk for about 45 minutes, somewhere between 2-3 miles. Is that too far for a 6 month old puppy? Not far enough? Don't puppies go bonkers with too much energy if you didn't walk them that day?

No comments:

Post a Comment