Gallery
Gallery

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Challenging Week


This sweet-faced little girl has been giving me such a challenge this past week, which is why I haven't blogged much. Cabana continues to be so wonderful indoors. She has terrific manners, loves her toys, waits calmly, loves to snuggle. But when we go for walks, it's a struggle.

Different things seem to set her off and cause her to have one of her episodes. Sometimes, it's passing a lot of dogs in quick succession. Or a loud motorcycle going by. Or being near or walking on large stretches of grass. Or it might be none of those things--maybe she just feels like having a tantrum. I have tried going for shorter walks, skipping a day, different walking paths, going back to the head collar, giving firmer corrections, and using a deeper "I mean business" tone of voice. But things seem to be getting worse. This morning, she had THREE episodes. Usually, it's just one, and then she seems to get really penitent and behave herself.

I don't let Cabana get away with it when she's having an episode, but I've been very good about remaining calm. Maybe too good? I wonder if this is backfiring on me. Maybe I need to get a little angrier. I think I'm being firm, but maybe she's not taking me seriously? I think my kids would say I'm still too nice when the episode is happening. But I'm usually by myself, so no one is there to assess me. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment