Gallery
Gallery

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Topics 9 - Share Your Dog Do!


On the way to work, I pass by a dog park that is completely fenced. I always look to see if there are any dogs romping around there, and 90% of the time, there's no one there. So yesterday, I decided to check it out with Cabana. Guide dog puppies are not allowed to go to dog parks, but I figured there was no harm if no other dogs are there. (Right?)

The photo above is of Cabana at the dog park. Boring picture. Even more boring dog park! I just didn't know what to DO there with Cabana. I tried romping around with her--but then she thinks I'm another dog and tries to jump and nip at me. After getting and giving corrections a bunch of times, that activity goes sour. We practiced recall a few times...Cabana sniffed around for a while...but it was definitely a dull outing.

Even when we're at home, I often feel like I don't know what to do with Cabana. Several times a day, usually while I'm working (I often work from home), she comes up to me and seems to want me to do SOMETHING for her. But what? She's not barking or whining--she's just sitting there, looking up at me. I usually stop what I'm doing and pet her for a few minutes, but this doesn't seem to be what she's asking for. Sometimes, I try giving her a different toy or taking her outside for a potty break and a breath of fresh air. But I don't want to feel like I've got to entertain my dog all the time--and I don't know, maybe that's not even what she's asking me for.

Believe me, I'm not one of those over-scheduling moms. My kids enjoy their free time, and I don't make them go to umpteen different lessons and clubs every week. So why can't I be more relaxed about Cabana? When Cabana is sleepy or tired and content to lay on her dog bed, I leave well enough alone. But when she seems to be asking me for something, I just don't have enough ideas. We've already taken our walks by now. You can only play so much tug of war, and puppy sit-ups and training exercises don't take much time, either.

So what do you DO with your dogs? Do your dogs come and look at you expectantly? Am I just imagining that I have to be DOING something for Cabana? Is it a mom/guilt thing? Psychoanalysis aside, I'd love to get a few activity ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment