Gallery
Gallery

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'll Eat You Up, I Love You So


We all know Cabana IS a wild thing, so I decided months ago that she should be Max from Where the Wild Things Are for Halloween. Little did I know that it would be a bigger challenge than I thought!


Pattern companies do not make patterns for dogs of Cabana's size. I consider Cabana to be very medium-sized, but a "large" dog, according to Simplicity, is 16" from base of neck to base of tail. Cabana is at least 26". I thought I could use this pattern as a foundation and increase the size. But having never made dog clothes before, the pieces are all these wonky shapes that didn't make a ton of sense to me. I managed to enlarge and cut the pieces out, but then trying the costume on Cabana and attempting to make adjustments--NOT an easy task! I wished I had one of those fitting mannequins that designers use so I wouldn't have to keep trying to get Cabana in and out of the costume. She wasn't too happy about our fitting sessions.

Finally, I realized, WHY am I trying to make a furry beige costume for an already furry beige dog? So I ditched the body part and just made the hood. I also made some big claw feet, but Cabana can't really walk in them.
photo from the movie of Max the boy in his Wild Thing costume, open mouthed in a scream, big hairy monster fur in the backgroundWearing just the hood seems more humane than a full-body costume, so I'm happy enough with the outcome.

And now, LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment